Monday, March 12, 2012

Week 1 Post 1 - Sendak




           
 






Sendak, M. (1963). Where the wild things are. New York, NY: HarperCollins Children’s Books.

Genre of week: Picture Books.  YA Reading   Children Reading (to 4th or 5th grade)

Sendak neatly book balances the books’s pictorial dimension against the text so the two cooperate to make the point that this naughty little boy Max is just that: naughty. The use of the pictures complements and enhances Sendak’s point: As the story transpires and Max gets to ‘meet’ really ‘wild’ things he quickly knows implicitly that it is time for supper and for bed and that the ‘wild things’ aren’t for him. Like all naughty little guys he goes home and finds that what he really wants – a hot supper – is there waiting for him. I love this book because it is so affirming in tone. Sendak understands how important naughtiness is and never scolds us or Max. Instead he lets us have some fun so we too can go home to dinner and sleep.

I also liked the way Sendak used “and in and out of weeks and almost over a year to where the wild things are.” going out and repeated it coming back with “sailed back over a year and in and out of weeks and through a day.” Repeating this ‘fun’ concept makes the episodic plot really accessible and memorable to young readers.

It is easy to see why this book won1964 Caldecott Medal Winner for the Most Distinguished Picture Book of the Year

The big question: “How can I get back to where Max is and next time go with him on adventure?”

1 comment:

  1. Wendel, you write well, and particularly pick up on the writing aspects. Help me know that you are getting the illustration terms as well, next time. You say it is easy to see why it won the Caldecott - but why? I hated this book when my boys were little because I didn't understand it. Now I love it and read it to my grandson every time he visits, and he loves it as well. I saw a (probably YouTube) spoof video of an interview with Sendak. He speaks about not caring about children and writing for himself, so I was spurred to search more information about him - just haven't done it yet. ;-) I'm really curious as to how he can write so well for children and not intend them as his audience.

    ReplyDelete