Wednesday, March 7, 2012

First 536 Post

Prior to becoming Graduate Assistant for Dr. Thomas Frazier Chair of University of the Cumberland's English and Modern Foreign Languages Department, I was an International Baccalaureate Instructor for 12 years at Beijing No. 55 High School where I taught DP English Language A1, Business and Management and Theory of Knowledge and MYP English A and MYP Technology.  I was also No. 55’s MYP/DP Trainer and Foreign Teacher Liaison.
    Happily like the International Baccalarueate, during the course of my Master's study here in the U.S. emphasis has been on placing the student at the center of inquiry based pedagogy: Students are encouraged to discover how to make valid decisions based on solid evidence and then to act upon those decisions. Myself a lifelong learner, this has satisfied beautifully and buttressed my passion for helping young scholars unlock their capacity to think critically so they might order their lives in an insightfully complete, valid and ethical manner.
Now in 2012 Spring II I am taking my last two classes in UC’s M.A.T. Secondary English (Non- Certified): EDOL 636 - Problems in Education and EDOL 536 -Young Adult and Children’s Literature.  I will finish at the end of May.  At the same time I am now assiduously applying for a new IB post overseas. Opportunities are appearing on all continents, but I am hoping to relocate to Continental Europe or the UK though I am open to IB schools I am now finding in the U.S.as well as Central and South America.
Finally reading has been a huge part of my life. I can easily picture my little brother and older sister on our mother's lap or at her knee while she read to us. And starting in a little one-room country school and continuing in the town school our teachers read to us. The monthly bookmobile visits to our small town in northeastern South Dakota were a treat and we all took books home. Now before I go to bed each night I read something of scholarly appeal before I go to sleep. It all started with children's and young adult literature when I was a child.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome, Wendel! I am so amazed and green with envy at all the experiences you've had! What a wonderful set of experiences to share with your students. I lived in Mitchell, SD for four years, loved it there, and traveled some NE in the state. I certainly hope that you can find the perfect post for the rest of your career.

    ReplyDelete