Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lesson Two Comprehensive Assignment


I use the following site in DP Business and Management class:
http://www.bized.co.uk/learn/sheets/bus_index.htm
Students who are doing their DP Graduation Internal Assessment project as well as when they want to supplement assigned class work or to pursue topics in depth can find a wealth of ideas here.  As the URL above demonstrates, students have a comprehensive source of information for spreadsheets.
As a result of taking this course I plan to make a major change in how I present Financial Accounts in DP Business and Management. I will also actively use Excel and Access for presentation of data - graphs, charts,etc. - in the Marketing Unit. And once I have resolved the issue of providing Internet connectivity for students in the classroom, I also plan to build Internet searches including online databases into my DP English Language A1, MYP Language A and DP Theory of Knowledge classes.
I use Beijing No. 55 Administrative Excel program each term end to create MYP Assessment reports. First I create an updated template with the correct term and course- I do MYP Technology and MYP English A- information.  After entering the student's name in English and Chinese, I enter the value awarded for each Assessment Criterion and the form automatically gives the Assessment Total. Finally, holistically, I comment the student's performance during the term and enter the mark and grade sometimes increasing or decreasing the mark.  The process is both automatic and manual.
I honestly was not surprised by any of the ways that databases and spreadsheets can be utilized in the classroom. After 20 years of selling and marketing technology including software packages and from reading Chapter 3 of the text it was/is obvious that there are a plethora of uses and applications for these kinds of software whose only limitation would seem to be the knowledge and skill of the instructor and the concomitant skill of her/his students.
With a few exceptions, the classrooms at Beijing No. 55 High School are outside the reach of the school's wireless network so students do not have Internet connectivity or connection with each other in the classroom. Most of the classrooms though do have a video projector so it is possible to connect laptops and project student and teacher work and relevant applications such as Access and Excel for class viewing.
In the past I have used little administrative or academic software in my teaching. It is a problem that I am committed to solving. The ideas and resources provided in this course will be useful for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment